Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Longevity advice from a 113 year old man.

Brazilian-born Bernando LaPallo turned 113 years old on August 17th, 2014.

And while a Guinness World Records consultant says verified records show him to be born in 1910 and not 1901 (his granddaughter says in the 1930's the Florida social insurance office incorrectly wrote down his date of birth as 1910 and not 1901) whether he is 113 years old or 103 years old, it's still pretty good.

So what does LaPallo attribute his longevity too?

"I eat plenty of fresh fruit and green vegetables, and I drink plenty of water. Water is very important. Exercise and sleep. Sleep is very important. Unless I am making a speech someplace, I’m generally in bed by 9:30.  I get up at 3:30 or 4 in the morning, go for my walk, take my shower, rub my body down with olive oil, make my breakfast," says LaPallo.

His five favorite foods are garlic, cinnamon, honey, chocolate and olive oil (although it appears he uses the olive oil more as a skin moisturizer than a food.)

Most of the advice LaPallo offers up comes straight from his father who lived to be 98 years old...
"He told me not to eat ordinary meat.  Lamb is ok.  But red meat, stay away from.  Hot dogs, French fries...all those things, don't eat," he says.

Another thing his father warned him about was stress telling him that it's "a killer."  LaPallo says "It’s important to take time to relax and exercise your brain, such as by doing crossword puzzles."

Quote:                 

"It's paradoxical, that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."- Andy Rooney


No comments:

Post a Comment